Clearing the air and theorizing

Like everything in life there is always going to be confusion and misconception even when it comes down to the simplest of things. For example everyone in their life has to introduce themselves to someone else. You may have done it yesterday, you may have to do it tomorrow, or you may even have done it earlier today. In different cultures their are different ways of greetings like a bow, a handshake or a kiss on the cheek. My whole point here is that there are misconceptions on something extremely simple. With that in mind imagine some misconceptions with things that require a little more thought than a quick introduction.

Video games are often stereotyped. Not to be harsh but in the most extreme cases gamers are thought to be mostly dudes who aren’t responsible enough to be an adult yet.

The average age for a gamer is actually 34matrixAnd also 40% of girls are now gamers as well.  I could go on all day about statistics but instead I’ll just line another website full of them.

I think one huge issue is that most people in the older generations didn’t have them growing up. So they aren’t used to them and a bunch of misconceptions come into place. In fact Jimmy Kennel made a bunch of assumptions about Gamers during one of his skits.

I think the reality of it is that it all the young adults and our generation grew up on these games that they are integrated into our culture. It is the equivalent of people growing up in the 50’s going to a drive inn movie. If you ask anyone our age if they’d like to come over and game that wouldn’t be an off-setting question. Even if the person didn’t partake in playing these games they wouldn’t find the question absurd.

The main point in all of this is to not be judgmental with gamers because whether you like them or not, they are here to stay, and you may be surprised that your old next door neighbor is screaming at someone playing call of duty.