Page and Screen: Does the Story Die in Translation?

The Walking Dead is one of the most popular examples of a comic book to television adaptation, but the success does not come without risky territory. The biggest complaints about any sort of comic/graphic novel/book adaptation done for the big screen or television series is that story content is either changed drastically or lost entirely. What do these kinds of changes mean for the success of a show or movie, and why is the decision made to change things to begin with?

The article I looked at talked about 10 major changes made between the Walking Dead comic as it became a television series, and it was interesting seeing a major theme to it all: the television creators developed the characters in ways that made people care more. They are made in shown in ways that make them seem more confident. Female characters like Carol and Michonne are given extremely empowering personalities, and some male characters are shown as being more sensitive and reserved, all of which are contradictory to how these characters are shown in the comic series.

This idea of altering character personalities is a powerful one. It creates a story that may differ strongly from the original intent, but the success proves that different mediums of storytelling can create stories that are just as effective. So as I sit and prepare myself to watch The Walking Dead at 11, these are some of the critical thoughts I decided would be interesting to explore.