Irresistibly Enthralling

I read this entire book in about an hour because I literally could not put it down. Ever since finishing it, I’ve been trying to figure out what about it was so enthralling. While the art was different than what we’ve read so far, there was something more that drew me in. I honestly don’t even now if I really liked the art in it.

I mean, look at it. I can be chaotic, hard to follow, and relatively unclear.

from Akira
from Akira

But think about it. The main characters are children, young. They’re kids. It has a lot of suspense and unknown information. It has a lot of build up. It leaves you not knowing what on earth is going on, but with this indescribable need to figure it out.

So, the characters. I want to start with that. Otomo writes them in a way where even though we know virtually nothing about them, we love Kaneda and all his ruggish ways. Tetsuo is automatically othered, and the tie that binds him and Kaneda together urges us to hope that he can somehow be made good again. Kei is the badass girl everyone loves to love, giving the book an irresistible possibility of romance.

from Akira, Kaneda
from Akira, Kaneda
from Akria; Kei
from Akria; Kei
from Akira; Tetsuo
from Akira; Tetsuo

Everything about this novel draws the reader in, giving us the need to know more. Although I may not be the biggest fan of the artwork, I loved this book. It was fascinating, and I’m probably going to read the rest of the volumes.