Reflection 2: Jon’s Optimism

This week, finishing the last chapters of Watchmen was rather difficult for me. I think Watchmen was interesting in the beginning but, as the chapters went on too many different plots sprung up, to easily keep up with the plot. I was also rather frustrated with the jumping back and forth between time lines. I realize this kind of illustration and dialogue must take place to fully explain Jon’s extraordinary abilities and even some plot lines like the Comedian and Laurie’s mother’s relationship but, it made for some very slow chapters in my opinion.

The aspect of the ending that I did like, was how Jon’s character grew with time. In the beginning he was just interested in the science of life. After the chapter where he and Laurie converse on Mars his whole character shifts. He really seems to take a new perspective on what life is for humans. His last statement as to why he changes his mind is not something he just realized, it’s just how he’s looking at it. He takes a more optimistic approach and decides that life isn’t just statistics and science but the fact that certain people do exist was the whole point. It just puts Jon on the human side of the conversation were as he wasn’t before this point.

Ozymandias however, sees life as an equation to solve. As long as everything works out as a whole there’s no problem with a few million causalities, making him less humanized than Jon, which is weird considering Jon is the one who’s not human. Jon even says he’s so enthralled with the humans in general that he’s headed to another planet to create some. This final thought from Jon really ties together the whole theme of Jon being the god figure in the character line up.  Jon even says earlier on that he’s not a god, or the God, so for him to acknowledge his ability to make humans is very intriguing to me.