The Story Beneath the Story

This disassembly project we were assigned in class might have been one of the most fun projects I’ve had to do thus far. It gave me the opportunity to fiddle around with photoshop, something I had not done since high school. The assignment really got me thinking about what goes on inside of an authors mind when creating a comic.

disassemblyfinal disassemblyog

I’ve done plenty of close readings in my life time, but none of a comic. When we were assigned this project, I couldn’t even begin to figure out where I was going to find a comic to disassemble. I didn’t have any on hand at home, and I didn’t have any that I actively read on the internet. I decided to google “cool comics.” The picture on the right was the result.

This post is mainly to inspire avid comic book readers to read past what’s on the page. Sit there and think to yourself “everything the author has put on this page is here for a reason.” Then think “Well what if he didn’t? What if the author left out this phrase or left out this sign in the background.” Too often readers have become passive; they take what’s on the page for what it’s worth, and move on. However, there is more to that. There is a story beneath the story, and it’s our job as active readers to recognize this.

This semester will be the hardest of mine by far. Having recently switched my major, I’ve never had to do so much reading in my life. However, if there’s anything I’ve learned from this class, the Graphic Novel, and my Intro to Film Studies class, it is that in depth reading makes the whole ordeal ten times more interesting. I’ve never been the best reader, but when I’ve gotten into it like I have for these two classes, it’s a whole new ball game.