Up with Rating, Down with Banning

In class this week we started to read Fun Home. We have also been discussing the various controversies that have surrounded the teaching of this work at other colleges and schools. As well as having a lengthy discussion about banning books. Personally I myself do not think that books are something that should be banned. Not all books are appropriate for everyone to read, but they should not be banned regardless. People want books banned for various reasons : religion, maturity (or lack of), ideology, ethics, political stance, the amount or type of sexuality with the work, and sometimes just because they don’t like it or agree. Just because the book isn’t for you or your family doesn’t mean that everyone else shouldn’t have the chance to read it and make their own opinions on it. I liked the solution we came up with in class as a way to do away with banning books. I think a rating system for the books would be a great idea. It wouldn’t have to be anything fancy. Just something similar to movies. That way the person choosing the book or the adult figures know the themes, ideas and basic content of the book without giving away the entire book itself. If parents, guardians or any adult figure do not want their kids to read certain things they should know and take vigil on what they are reading. Many adult figures complain and push for banning after the fact. Its too late, your child has already read the book. Checking out what they are reading before they read it is all you need to do, you do not need to ban the book for everyone else. When it comes to high schoolers and college students, they are at the point of their lives where they can choose what they read themselves. They should be able to make reading choices that are appropriate for them. If they do not agree, believe or like something, then do not read it or do not take that class, or do not complain and go on with the class. Do not ruin it for the rest of your peers.

As for Fun Home itself, I truly enjoyed reading it. Once I started reading it I could not put it down once I started reading it. Over the weekend I thought I was just going to follow the schedule online and read it in chunks. It did not happen that way. I have since reread it several times. I like both her art style, in cooperation of photographs and documents, as well as her writing style. She is able to deal with heavy themes: suicide/death, sexuality, and pedophilia in a appropriate, yet intriguing manner, that also does not hit you over the head with everything. I also liked how open she was in her work about her life. It was very real. This is my favorite graphic novel we have read so far.