An Unexpected Surprise

In class we discussed each of our experiences with either manga or anime. Stylistically, manga never caught my attention when browsing the book aisles at stores like Barnes and Noble or Books-a-Million. I saw manga and anime as something that was “too eclectic for me to ever enjoy”. In fact, the only recent exposure I’ve had to it was being forced to watch Kill La Kill, an anime series entirely in Japanese on Netflix. The mass amount of action that took place in the short 30 minute episodes seemed too fast-paced to even be enjoyable. I mirrored this thought with my thoughts on reading manga.

When I learned that we were going to be reading manga for this class, I wasn’t particularly excited about it and I most definitely wasn’t looking forward to it by any means. After starting Akira, however, I have begun to change my mind about the comic type as a whole. I began to fall in love with the over exaggeration of expressions and actions of each of the characters. While I still felt that the pacing was fast and so much action was packed into small panels, I was far more engaged than I was when watching anime.

Since I began reading Akira, I have not been able to put it down and I fully intend on reading the other volumes associated to it – and perhaps even read more from this comic style.