Is Doodling What It Is?

Tapping into your imagination and putting it to use is a task that is not easy for everyone. Well at least not for me. Walking into the classroom last week and getting the instruction to doodle on a piece of paper might have been one of the most interesting and fascinating ways I’ve ever had to put my imagination to work. I am no artist, but my mind was surely working while my pencil was moving all over the top of that piece of paper. I wouldn’t even know what to call the drawing that I continued to work on throughout the week, but it did help me open my imagination.

I think the timing between this style of class, reading What It Is, and starting to brainstorm and create our web comics was perfect. I think the correlation between the in class doodling and the lessons from What It Is open up a pathway to be able to be more creative and generate quality ideas. Before doing either of those things, the way that I would try to create something or be creative would be to just start writing. It always seemed to be a story that was going nowhere. I wouldn’t have any ideas in mind and would just be writing. What It Is has shown me how to get ideas flowing.

WIS

Of course it’s a lot easier to produce ideas when you’re reading something that is telling you what to do, but I think What It Is is deeper than that. It makes you think back and remember things from the past. I also think that the memory is a great place to start when one is trying to be creative. In almost every context, some of those little details can be can be used to create and fill stories. When we had to remember different types of cars and people’s names, it started the process of getting good ideas going.

While I was trying to remember items from my past, the instructions took me on a different route than some of the other students who shared their stories in class. After I had thought of things and people who were actually a part of my life, I made up completely new stories. Maybe I used some details from stories that my father had told me, but I never wrote about something that actually happened to me. I think that this is the main purpose of the activities. I think that we, as students, should be able to use those activities to develop different stories, even if we don’t use them as our web comics. At that point, our imaginations are open and we should take total advantage of that. As I just mentioned, some of the minor aspects of those memories that we had to conjure up could be used in a different way in any of the work that we have to do.

The narrative part of the book also showed the reader how the author herself was able to remember things from her past and tell a story. Once you get past the collage of what seems to be clip art, you are able to see all of the little things that she remembered. It was interesting to read those parts because to me it seemed like they just came out of nowhere, but also because they were so detailed. It’s intriguing to see how much a person can remember from their childhood and then you can see how it has shaped them to be the person that you know or see.

This was a rather interesting time for me as I started to remember little objects and aspects from my past. I thought it was pretty cool that I was able to create stories that didn’t happen in to me or in my life. The most interesting thing was that I was able to keep writing without a break. I felt like all of these little ideas just kept coming to me. I think that was due to those tedious little sections in the lessons from the book asking what was in front of, behind, beside, above and below me. At the time that I was filling in those blanks, my imagination was working. I think that both, the in class doodling and What It Is, helped me open my imagination and use it in a very creative way.