A Reluctant Fan

The Watchmen comic, in the beginning, caused my mind to be conflicted. On the one hand I wanted to stop reading it after the first couple of pages. The content was depressing and the imagery was grosser than I originally thought it needed to be. Books like that usually put me off because half the time I feel like the author is trying to cover up his lack of skill with the shock factor that immature kids are into. No one needs that type of influence assaulting their mind, especially if avoiding it could be as simple as putting the book down. However, as my knee jerk reaction began to dissipate, I couldn’t help but notice the amount of skill and attention to detail that resided within the book’s pages. The writing alone shows immense control, planning, and dedication to detail with the complex characterization and overlapping story lines. Then you add to the mix chapters like the one about Dr. Manhattan with all the time lapses. That could have very easily been a super confusing chapter but Alan Moore pulled that it off brilliantly. Then there’s the detail in the artwork and the symmetry in the panels. I love how I can always find something different within them the closer I look at the pictures or find different meanings within the symbols the more I think about it. Watchmen is so thought provoking and enticing that, despite its super depressing tone and somewhat gross pictures, I can’t not like it.