Reflection on the Will Eisner Readings

This week of class we analyzed three of the four stories in Will Eisner’s A Contract with God. Each of them have their own meaning and various layers that we can inspect, but I still end up being very conflicted in the end. More so with The Street Singer and The Super.  With The Street Singer there are signs of the main character trying to do some good, but he succumbs to his inner evil. You see him go out and work hard to make make some cash, but ends up beating his wife every time he comes home and then blows most of the cash on liquor. What makes it worse is that he knows what he is doing is wrong, but ends up doing it anyway. It guess the Great Depression did that to a lot of people. I believe there is still some good in him, but the question is: Will it remain there or will it be forced out by his evil desires?

With The Super, I’m mainly conflicted about who is actually the villain in the story. Frankly, it could go either way, but I think it would be best to have both the man and girl be considered villains. Both of them did horrible things and one of them was a kid who obviously didn’t know right from wrong and ended up ending a dog’s life, while the other was a man who let the alcohol make decisions when he knew that whatever he was agreeing too was wrong.  These are just my thoughts on the stories and I’m a bit surprised because I didn’t expect to enjoy them as much as I did. I am curious as to how these stories would’ve ended differently without having alcohol affect their decisions and lifestyle.