A Recycling Contract?

I sort of expected that the main character of A Contract With God wouldn’t have been rewarded for doing too little of a good thing a little too late, but what I didn’t expect was the short comic added on at the end of a young boy finding the contract and signing it himself, hence restarting the plot of the story in a way. To me, this seems to turn the plot into a never ending loop, and since it is not shown or explained what happens to the boy as he gets older, it’s hard as the reader not to assume the worst.

Having the contract written on something as long lasting and so easily disposable as a rock could make the physical contract last a very long time, being disregarded over and over again by previous owners and then found by new ones. If this was the case, names could be craved into the rock over and over again until there is no room left to write on it.

The idea of creating a physical contract with a non-physical entity was interesting too. Within faith, it is common to make spoken or mental commitments or promises to whatever higher power you believe in and yet people hold those “contracts” to be real. Having this “contract” with God actually penned out into physical existence to mimic the binding legal documents used in our society seems like an approach to make this contact more tangible and in essence more real.