A fan for all comic movies.

Future-Spiderman-2

When it comes to comics and movies it seems that there is no middle ground for fans, either the movie was just as good as the comics or it was terrible and should be cast off as if it was afflicted with leprosy.  This is more prevalent online than anywhere else, but is that a fair statement to make.

Most people say that the book is better than the movie.  Which is understandable, books are able to describe in greater detail; the scenery, characters, actions, mood and tone.  One thing to keep in mind though, a movie based on a book is someone else’s interpretation of the book.  The same can be said about the comic book, for this I turn to the Amazing Spider-Man.

The original Amazing Spider-Man was a high school student who through circumstances acquires powers.  The character of Peter Parker was the stereo typical nerd, plaid shirts, pocket protector, large thick glasses.  In the movie this is changed greatly, Peter Parker while still scrawny and a nerd is depicted differently than the original comics.  He looks more like a nerd in the modern world, dressing plainly in long sleeve shirts and a hoodie instead of wearing name brand clothing.  While I can see that this change in style could upset fans, the idea of keeping Peter Parker in the 60’s would feel horribly out of place in the modern world.

I guess the elephant in the room would be the Villains that have appeared so far in the movies.  I have read a lot of complaints about the look of the lizard in the first Amazing Spider-Man.  I will even admit that I was a little disappointed with how he turned out.  However, trying to make a fictional monster animated monster appear in the real world, and be believable is quite the feet.  The monster kept facial features that resembled that of a human rather than the long snout that is scene in the comics.  While I would love to have scene the comic book Lizard come to life, I appreciate the art direction of the movie in trying to make the transformation look somewhat natural.

So when going to see a comic book movie I guess the takeaway is that it’s someone else’s take on the story.  You may not always like the way it turned out, or be happy with the aesthetic choices made however, people should not be criticized for liking the way that it turned out.  Updating a hero to fit a modern age should be taken into consideration before hating and tearing apart the movie.  Adopting a monster to appear more believable and that he looks as if he could exist in the real world, should seem cool and make you wish it were.

2 comments for “A fan for all comic movies.

1. kirbykrackle
    September 21, 2014 at 6:56 pm

First of all, that was a good post about how fanboys and fangirls get worked up about a character’s design in a film. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the Marc Webb Amazing Spider-Man films, but they were for reasons like how they rehashed the Raimi films, wasted too much time exploring his parents’ whereabouts (Which would only be interesting if these films were made by Marvel, and they revealed that the Parkers actually worked for Nick Fury.), and put too many villains in the second film.

However, one of the things I liked about the first film was the design of the Lizard and his personal connection with Peter Parker. (Even if all the subsequent villains in the series have this kind of connection with him.) And I like that they actually made him a monster, like in the Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man.It seems like the trend in superhero films (due to Christopher Nolan’s influence) is to make everything as “grounded” as possible even though one of the best things about superhero stories is their elements of escapism and wide eyed wonder where a teenager from Queens can dodge bullets and swing from building to building, and there could actually be a mutated alligator in the New York City sewers.

I liked the parallel you made between Andrew Garfield’s Peter Parker being a “modern nerd” compared to the original 1960s Peter Parker. The best part of the Amazing Spider-Man films is Garfield’s performance as Spider-Man and Peter Parker. For example, he has a meaningful relationship with his love interest instead of stalking her for half of the film.

2. gkearns
    September 22, 2014 at 1:00 am

I really liked this post. I touched on some of the same issues of fanboy-ism in my post as well. I really enjoyed the first Amazing Spider-Man movie, the second one not so much. I agree that changing a character for modern times is a good idea, as long as the essential parts of the character remain. i.e. Peter parker being an outcast, his uncle dying, etc. Also, to the commenter above, realism works for certain characters better than others. I feel like Sony did try to make Spider-Man more realistic in this version of the character. But marvel’s character are generally more fantastic, so that tone works well for Marvel characters.