“Guardians of the Galaxy:” more than just a movie

I was extremely excited when I first heard about the movie “Guardians of the Galaxy,” mainly because both Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana are beautiful to look at…ok solely for that reason, but when I heard my geeky (I’m using that as a term of affection) younger brother getting excited about it I began to wonder what I was missing. I gained a little bit of insight when I drove my brother and his friends to what they thought would be a midnight showing, but ended up being a closed movie theatre. All three of them were shocked that the movie did not have more hype surrounding it, and on the way home I discovered that “Guardian of the Galaxy” is based off of a comic book.

Clearly I am not an expert when it comes to the Guardians, but I was interested into why this movie did not have the kind of reaction that many of the other Marvel movies had, although admittedly it did become the highest grossing movie of 2014, so not bad.

After looking up information on the comic book I’m still not an expert, but I did gain a little more insight as to why it might not have had quite the following the “Iron Man” or “The Avengers.” From what I gleaned from other websites, “Guardians of the Galaxy,” while having several stand-alone issues, was used to draw in other superheroes such as Spiderman, Ironman, and some of the X-men to name a few. The Guardians were also composed of more than just the four members from the movie, including Agent Venom in order to keep a relationship between the Guardians and the Avengers. It seems that “Guardians of the Galaxy” had less of a cult following because the comic book was used as a means to connect other heroes together. As I said, I in no way have extensive knowledge about this, so if you have anything to add or any more information feel free to add it.

1818443-guardians_of_the_galaxy___guardians_of_the_galaxy_annual_2 3650073-guardians-of-the-galaxy-hi-res-photo-1

These are the websites that I used for information:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_(Earth-616)

http://www.comicvine.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy/4060-25956/

http://marvel.wikia.com/Eugene_Thompson_(Earth-616)

5 comments for ““Guardians of the Galaxy:” more than just a movie

1. crobert2
    September 7, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Marvel has a few small series that are used more as filler or tie in pieces. Guardians being the big piece that allows the Avengers to find out about Thanos. The movie looked great from a technical standpoint. I honestly had or have no idea who Zoe Saldana is, and only know of Chris Pratt as a voice actor in the Lego movie. The movie was still very good, and it was exciting to see that it got the recognition it deserved in the box office.

2. kutoof
    September 7, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I like that you chose to write about a topic that you aren’t too familiar about. It shows that you are interested in learning about new topics in graphic novels. I also like that your interest came from a film and found out that it the movie was actually based off of a comic. While you did do that, I do wish that you had done a more in-depth research and expanded more on your findings. You put too much of your personal experience which is fine but I recommend that you keep it short and concise. Also, did you not watch the film yourself? You did not make that clear but if you did, you should have written about your thoughts on the movie so that you could give your own opinion as to why the film wasn’t as big as your brother thought it would be. I personally did not want to watch Guardians of the Galaxy, but if it weren’t for my fiends, who kept on telling me that I would love the movie, I would have never watched it. But I’m glad that I did because I honestly enjoyed it. The biggest difference between Galaxy and other Marvel films I think is that Galaxy seemed to be more of a sci-fi film than a superhero movie and I think that’s why there wasn’t a big hype for the film.

You also claimed that Galaxy has its own issues, but you never state them. You essentially only state one reason for why the movie didn’t get as much hype and I don’t think that it’s a strong argument. So for next time, just make sure to expand more on your research and thoughts and less on the personal experience of it all. Besides that, great job on your first blog post!

3. mkarrs
    September 7, 2014 at 11:58 pm

I agree it’s interesting that Guardians of the Galaxy is so much less well-known in comparison to the other Marvel Comics series. It has several similar characteristics to X-Men, Fantastic Four, and The Avengers in that it is about a group of heroes working together as opposed to Spiderman who was an individual that occasionally teamed up with groups like the X-Men (Although most if not all of the Avengers had individual publications as well). This just proves that any genre, including graphic novels, can have a great deal of content that does not reach popular culture, even if the overarching genre itself is part of popular culture, as is the case with comic books, especially Marvel. Like Kutoof says, Guardians of the Galaxy has more sci-fi elements than most of the Marvel comics that have been produced, although that may be due more to the adaptations themselves if you think about the plot lines. X-Men involves the evolution of mankind and an effort by the anti-mutant government part of the public to control genetics to prevent that evolution. That’s a pretty science heavy story, even if it is often masked with superhero elements and the fight between Magneto and Professor X. But Spiderman and the Fantastic Four also have very clear sci-fi elements in their origin stories. So it’s interesting to see how adaptation can affect the public’s view of the content. I agree that you may want to put more of your opinions into your posts–how you feel about the role of Guardians of the Galaxy contributing to the graphic novel genre as a whole maybe? But I think you’ve raised some good points about mass media, the role of the public in deciding what becomes canon, etc. Good post!

4. gkearns
    September 8, 2014 at 12:06 am

One aspect that about this post that I disagree with is that there was no hype for Guardians of the Galaxy. When the film was announced most marvel fans scratched their heads and said Guardians of the what? Guardians is a very obscure comic, and the movies Marvel Studios had made before it were mostly mainstream action adventure movies starting with Iron man in 2008. Even though people did not know the Guardians of the Galaxy that well the marvel Studios brand secured a large amount of it’s audience through brand regocnitiong because of the success of The Avengers, Iron Man 3, both films which made over a billion dollars at the worldwide box office. Marvel was aware of the lack of knowledge about the Guardians, so they immediately set out to remedy that. The marketing material for the film including trailers, interviews with the cast, posters, and behind the scenes footage introduced the audience to each individual guardian. Star Lord, played by Chris Prat, Gamora played by Zoey Saldona, Drax the Destroyer played by Dave Batista, Rocket Racoon voiced by Bradley Cooper and the walking tree Groot voiced by Vin Diesel. When the first trailer was released earlier this year fan reaction was positive. Subsequent trailers and promotional material increased awareness of the movie and who the individual characters were. There was a large marketing push by Marvel Studios throughout the summer to make sure the public knew the movie was coming out, and what the asthetic of the movie was, a qwerky sci-fi comedy made by an indie director with no prior experience with making large budget summer blockbusters. In its opening weekend Guardians of the Galaxy was estimated to make around 60 million dollars. A good opening for a property that no one had heard of before. Instead it grossed over 90 million dollars. This was due to positive buzz by critics, Marvel Studio’s marketing campaign, and fan anticipation. Another factor that allowed Guardians of the Galaxy to reach it’s remarkable domestic box office gross of 270 million dollars was little competition. The month of August is typically when the summer movie season winds to an end. The only real competition Marvel had was Michael Bay’s adaptation of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. While Ninja Turtles overtook Guardians of the Galaxy for two weeks at the box office, Guardians came back and was able to surpass all expectations by the studio and the director.

5. IMalone
    September 8, 2014 at 4:01 pm

This summer I started reading comics seriously for the first time. The presence of art as a visual aid to a story is something I find very appealing, as I love art and, who doesn’t love a great story. Guardians of the Galaxy is definitely a comic with a lot of crossover. It has included many different characters from various ends of the Marvel universe. In recent years Marvel has had a number of major crossover events, such as civil war, infinity, and original sin, where a number of their running titles are connected to a larger storyline happening in a limited series. I personally love the idea of having continuity within the marvel universe. I think it is awesome that I can pick up two comics, and while different stories are unfolding, the same references are made to a larger storyline that is taking place elsewhere. With the expansion of Marvel’s movie production in the last few years, we have started to see some of this same continuity and crossover in their films. For instance, there are ongoing Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America movies , yet they all come together fittingly in the Avengers movies. Right now Marvel has a long list of movies they are working on, with release date going as far as 2019. Some of them including lesser known characters such as Ant-Man and Doctor Strange. While some may scratch their head as to why Marvel would chose to make movies about relatively small players in the comic world, I believe it is part of Marvel’s move to bring the continuity from their comics into their movies. I thoroughly enjoyed the Guardians movie, but I do not believe there would be such a film if Marvel had no intention of connecting it to other titles down the line. In many respects, this continuity is allowing marvel to make movies that they would otherwise left alone.