The Truth About the World

What I liked about  Dream Country was that there were so many ideas and themes that reminded me of things I had already read/watched before. It offered a sense of familiarity that made me more open to interpreting the stories. For length’s sake, I’m just going to focus on “Dream of a Thousand Cats.”

29727-4207-33047-1-sandman-the_super

The first thing that popped out to me was the painting on the title page. The frame is broken, but you can see the painting continues and the cat is attempting to jump out of its confines. This reminds me of my favorite anime, “Ouran High School Host Club,” where one of the main characters, Kyoya, feels like he has to paint a picture on an already framed canvas. As the episode continues, we see that his mind has changed, he doesn’t want to conform, and now his painting has breached the frame and spreads out to be something bigger and different than we initially realized. Similarly, the painting in “A Dream of a Thousand Cats,” is showing that we only see what we’ve allowed ourselves to see.

kyouyapainting

More to the point, this seems to be exactly what Nietzsche is talking about in, “On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense.” In it he says, “Truths are illusions which we have forgotten are illusions.” The cats believe that humans rule the world because the humans told that story and it was believed by so many people that it became ‘true.’ So likewise, if enough cats believe the Siamese cat’s story, that will become the new truth. In the end, I don’t believe that it matters who the actual rulers of the world are, but rather the fact that truth is just stories that the majority chooses to believe in.

3 comments for “The Truth About the World

1. March 14, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I think you make a lot of interesting points in your post, particularly on the somewhat relative nature of truth or reality. If truth is simply a matter of the majority, then all of our records of the past seem suddenly inaccurate. I feel like this story could be interpreted as a commentary on evangelical religions as well, specifically though of the rise of Christianity within the then Pagan Roman Empire. Eventually the Pagan gods and goddesses became less-true and instead were replaced with Saints and tithings.

2. junewalker
    March 28, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I started trying to write my required comment on this post with more connections between the story and “On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense” but there are just way too many. So, a tip of the hat to you for writing this blog post and I hope you don’t mind if I expand on it next week!